Aging with grace means more than keeping gray hair and wrinkles at bay. How “old” we look, and act are very closely linked to how well we feel. The good news is we have more control over feeling good and, therefore, aging more gracefully than we may think.
There are various ways to maintain healthy habits and a positive attitude. To ensure that you stay on the right track, Jacaranda Trace wants to share these eight healthy tips for living well.
- Eat healthy for a healthy body – As the saying goes, “You are what you eat.” This isn’t an empty expression; it’s the truth. A balanced diet ensures that you get the vitamins and minerals you need and the energy an active lifestyle requires. Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants that boost cellular health and slow the physical aging process.
- Rest up – Healthy foods aren’t your body’s only source of fuel. Without sleep, your physical and mental capacity will deteriorate. Experts generally recommend seven to nine hours of sleep every night.
- Stay on top of your health care – Know your body and be aware of any changes. A part of this is getting your annual check-ups from head to toe. Blood pressure, cardio, vision, and dental are all important. And don’t forget about routine skin screenings if you regularly pursue outdoor activities—early detection is vital.
- Manage your medication – In addition to your physical well-being, be sure to discuss your current medication regimen with your doctor. If you’ve made any changes, ask questions about potential side effects or the safety of vitamins or supplements you may be taking. Because anytime you take more than one medication, mix it with over-the-counter medications, or even mix it with certain foods there is a risk of drug interaction.
- Get your vaccinations – Vaccines provide a strong defense against dangerous illnesses like the flu, pneumonia, tetanus, shingles, and COVID-19. All are readily available at your doctor or local pharmacy if recommended by your physician.
- Keep moving – Everybody needs to exercise every day. Go for walks, nature hikes, bike rides, or perform low-impact exercises like swimming. It can be as simple as getting up from your chair during a television commercial to do a quick chore or just move around—anything to elevate your pulse rate, which strengthens your heart and increases circulation.
- Mind your mental health – Reading, playing games, and doing puzzles are great for your cognitive health and help relieve stress. And, of course, don’t be afraid to learn something new or pursue your next adventure in life. There’s no such thing as “too old,” and it’s never too late to pursue new passions.
- Stay socially connected – Visits with family and friends can work wonders for healthy aging. Staying socially connected is a morale booster. Go out of your way to meet new people, have lunch with friends, take a class, volunteer, or join a hobby group. There are so many opportunities for fun with friends.
Today, active senior living communities like Jacaranda Trace provide opportunities to check this list off every day. They offer activities and programs that focus on total-person health and wellness, like exercise classes, healthy menu options, lively social events, and a vibrant and supportive community. After all, healthy aging isn’t just a series of good habits; it’s a state of mind. Following these eight tips will help keep you on the right track and living life to the fullest. After all, age is just a number. You’re only as old as you feel.
At Jacaranda Trace, our wellness programs and robust educational and events calendar give our members many enjoyable ways to stay social and active. To learn more about our community or to schedule a private tour, give us a call at (941) 408-2050.